Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Attitude of Gratitude

When upon life’s billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings; name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done. …
So amid the conflict, whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged; God is over all.
Count your many blessings; angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end. 
(Hymn 241)

Today in church the topic was Gratitude. One lady spoke of "the attitude for gratitude". If challenged, we could make a list that would never end of all the things we are grateful for. It would be relatively easy to do. And that list - it would be LONG. If asked, we could make a list of all our trials in life. And that list, though some might be longer than others, we could probably count those on our hands, maybe our toes. But it's funny, that despite the LONG list of things we are grateful for, the SHORT list of trials seems to consume us.

I am especially guilty of this.

But today, something rang true. Something clicked. And I realized that I have not possessed the attitude of gratitude. I have wallowed. I have pitied. I have allowed myself to NOT see all that I have been blessed with.

This ends tonight.

No comments: