Monday, April 30, 2012

First Ultrasound - Molly

There is a part of me that feels like I just cried wolf. We just got back from our first ultrasound and I was a nervous wreck going in. In fact, my mother suggested that possibly I get some meds to help "keep me off the ledge". I don't necessarily feel foolish for my actions though, I have experienced a wide range of things with pregnancy. First there was the typical, normal pregnancy until BOOM - I go into labor at 16 weeks. Second pregnancy had 2 wonderful, promising ultrasounds then the bleeding started and when I went to the ER, there was no heartbeat at 9.5 weeks. My last ultrasound for pregnancy resulted in an empty sac floating on the screen and a very nervous nurse and she rushed to get the doctor.

Rightfully so, I was sick going into this ultrasound. I was prepared for the worst and hoping for the best. The faith and prayers of so many felt wasted, because I was unable to be positive myself. I'm used to feeling like the martyr, so I was prepping for it once again.

The moment she placed the probe in, I could see it. I could see the sac and I could see the flutter - a heartbeat. My eyes spilled over with tears.

There is ONE bat in the cave.

top pic - one bat, strong heart beat, bottom pic - possible second bat to the left

The nurse began to search around for a second. You can see a sac, possibly a yolk, but no flutter - no heartbeat. We are not disheartened though, sometimes it takes a few more weeks to see the second or sometimes a few more weeks confirms that it isn't viable. We go back next week for another ultrasound.

WE ARE THRILLED though, beyond belief. This little bat (and maybe the second) is the product of so much faith, hope and incredible charity for ALL OF YOU. We are so grateful for all of the positive energy being sent our way, every prayers counts.

They urged me to continue to take it easy. There was some blood surrounding the sac (not abnormal) but they want me to rest - a lot. So that's what I will do.

6 comments:

Court said...

I'm glad that you got to see the baby today. Continuing to pray for peace for you! Get some rest! =) (easier said that done) I hope that soon you will know if the other is developing.

Devon T. said...

Such great news on a gloomy Monday! So happy for you and I'm praying everything progresses just as it should. Love to you and the belly!

Anonymous said...

Awesome news! I have been and will continue to pray for you guys.

Sandy Bridges

Unknown said...

woohoo!!!!

Olivia Stipe Manke said...

Yay! Hooray for good news.

mom of seven said...

I've know that awful nerve wracking, sick in the pit of your stomach feeling before an ultrasound too. Congratulations on the little 'bat' in the cave. Best wishes and prayers to you as the days progress.